D-Apt package numbers

Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 20 02:29:18 PDT 2017

On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 08:52:05 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

> I see that D-Apt has the Debian revision number on packages
> starting at
> 0. I had understood that the policy was to start at 1.

For stuff in *Debian* that is true, anything not in Debian should
start at zero and add a "repository tag" to the Debian revision,
if the package is new or has a new upstream version in their
repository.
E.g. in Ubuntu, if the upstream version is "1.0", the revision
Ubuntu chooses is "1.0-0ubuntu1". If a Debian package is
modified, the "ubuntuX" tag is added to the Debian revision.
This ensures that Debian packages are preferred if they are
available and that users as well as the Debian package maintainer
knows where stuff was coming from when people report bugs (less
of an issue on Ubuntu and other derivatives, there the tags are
required to properly produce deltas between Debian and the
derivative and to merge packages from Debian safely).

So, if d-apt is doing something like this, everything is fine :-)