D-Apt package numbers

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 20 05:50:11 PDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-03-20 at 09:29 +0000, Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 08:52:05 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> >
> > I see that D-Apt has the Debian revision number on packages
> > starting at
> > 0. I had understood that the policy was to start at 1.
>
> For stuff in *Debian* that is true, anything not in Debian should
> start at zero and add a "repository tag" to the Debian revision,
> if the package is new or has a new upstream version in their
> repository.
> E.g. in Ubuntu, if the upstream version is "1.0", the revision
> Ubuntu chooses is "1.0-0ubuntu1". If a Debian package is
> modified, the "ubuntuX" tag is added to the Debian revision.
> This ensures that Debian packages are preferred if they are
> available and that users as well as the Debian package maintainer
> knows where stuff was coming from when people report bugs (less
> of an issue on Ubuntu and other derivatives, there the tags are
> required to properly produce deltas between Debian and the
> derivative and to merge packages from Debian safely).

I have been focusing on https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-con
trolfields.html#s-f-Version which doesn't admit the existence of otherplaces that Debian. :-)

> So, if d-apt is doing something like this, everything is fine :-)

I guess since DMD isn't allowed in Debian, but is in D-Apt the fact
that it has the package name:

    dmd-bin_2.073.2-0_amd64.deb

doesn't really raise a problem. Dub however is in both Debian and D-
Apt, so for example:

    ./debian/pool/main/d/du    b/dub_1.2.0-1_amd64.deb
    ./d-apt/pool/main/d/dub    /dub_1.2.2-0_amd64.deb

Clearly the numbers satisfy the formal rules, but are they right?

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk