Playing with Visual D's new mixed solution support

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 20 11:36:34 PDT 2017

On 19.03.2017 13:16, Mike Parker wrote:
> Every few years I do a little test to see how much effort it takes to
> get the ioquake3 [1] codebase set up in a way that I can replace bits of
> it with D implementations and compile it all together. Not because I
> plan to port the whole thing, but I'm perennially curious how difficult
> it would be for someone to get started on porting a complex C project to
> D piece by piece (the way it should be done). I have to say, Rainer has
> made it easier than ever on Windows with the new Visual D release [2].
>
> So I generated a VS 2015 solution with the ioq3-premake-msvc project
> [3], loaded it up, compiled it all to make sure it works (ioq3 will find
> the Quake3 resources automatically if you have Quake3 installed via
> Steam). Then I added a D file, picked a function to reimplement in D,
> and built it again. This resulted in a handful of linker errors because
> the runtime isn't linked in automatically. Once I opened up the project
> properties and added the path to dmd2/windows/lib32mscoff to the linker
> directories and phobosm32mscoff.lib to the linker input, I had an
> instance of Quake3 running with a D implementation of Sys_Milliseconds [4].
>
> As easy as that. No writing up custom build scripts, no manually adding
> D object files to the ioq3 project, or any of the other approaches I've
> taken in the past. Awesome! I think I'll do a write up on this for the D
> blog in the near future.
>
> Great job, Rainer!
>
> [1] https://ioquake3.org/
> [2] http://forum.dlang.org/thread/oa3dp7$icu$1@digitalmars.com
> [3] https://github.com/jpcy/ioq3-premake-msvc
> [4] http://i.imgur.com/VP0ibfH.png

Thanks for the report, Mike.

Having to add the phobos library and the search path should only be
necessary, if the D files are added to a static library project, and
none is added to the project that actually links the binary. I hope that
this was the case for Quake, but your screen shot suggests otherwise.