Learning programming with D - optimizing the entry point / the environment?

rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 23 05:45:19 PDT 2017

On 24/03/2017 1:36 AM, Martin Tschierschke wrote:

> Very important I think would be to add some graphics, especially to get
> the interests of kids, For example arsd.simpledisplay.d with its nice
> learning example Pong.

There is a reason why I want windowing in Phobos and you have figured
out part of it.

Here is my plan:

1. Get Manu Evan's color work into Phobos
https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/2845
2. Get an image library into Phobos with focus upon abstraction with an
optional extension of correct base manipulation functions as well as
representations (including file formats) e.g. (mine)
https://github.com/rikkimax/alphaPhobos/tree/master/source/std/experimental/graphic/image
3. Bindings, bindings bindings! DerelictUtil based loader + X11, Vulkan,
OpenGL and DirectX bindings at the very least
4. Event loop abstraction, optionally as an extension an implementation
e.g. (mine)
https://github.com/Devisualization/spew/tree/master/src/base/cf/spew/event_loop
5. A windowing library e.g. (mine)
https://github.com/Devisualization/spew/tree/master/src/base/cf/spew/ui

Among the regulars there is some push back away from going into Phobos,
but reality is, we need solid definitions for these so we can move away
from I have this implementation cool right? To here is the cool thing we
can do with it!

The exact code I use as examples for my plan does change year to year,
but over all this is what it is. Please note that a windowing library is
not a GUI toolkit and we should not be looking towards implementing that
for Phobos in the near future.