Can vibed be fast as Go or Python?

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 28 01:08:11 PDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-03-28 at 07:32 +0000, Suliman via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I found very interesting Python async framework japronto
> https://github.com/squeaky-pl/japronto
>
> Test show that in some cases japronto may work as fast as Go.
>
> Can vibed be competitor (or even better) than Go and Python for
> micro-services?

Go is clearly a big player in the arenas where microservices is a key
word. Python less so. Do not forget that JVM and JVM languages are the
biggest players – well at least in the areas I have association with.
Also C#/F# are players, of course.  This is maybe why Go is becoming a
big player there, just as it has in Web applications.

Node, at least in the microservices arena I have association with, is
not a big player: single threaded event loops without processes are
seen as a liability not a benefit. Multi-threaded services are still
the expectation, and a further reason why Go is taking share from the
JVM languages – no callback hell.

The JVM languages (and to a lesser extent C#/F#) are though deeply
embedded in the psyche of most people "doing microservices". It is
harder to get them to switch that for them to write a new framework.

Go has created market share by some people who were believers in Go
doing stuff and then telling people about it, preferably in JVM or .NET
oriented conferences.

So the question is: has anyone done microservices with D/Vibe.d, and
have they been talking about it at Go, JVM, and .NET conferences?

The line to take to do this is to do the same service in D/Vibe.d and
one of Go/Java/Clojure/Kotlin/Scala/C#/F# and then do a session at an
appropriate conference showing how D/Vibe.d is better and thus that
Go/Java/Clojure/Kotlin/Scala/C#/F# needs to be improved in this area.
I.e. do not present D/Vibe.d as the solution, but as the threat.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk