DConf Hackathon Ideas

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 1 10:25:05 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 27 April 2017 at 14:53:02 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This year, DConf has an extra day tacked on for problem solving
> in the form of a hackathon. The intent is to work on issues
> people find frustrating in the D ecosystem. While there will be
> time given at the event for proposals, and those involving
> third-party projects are welcome, it will help speed things
> along for the organizers to come in with a list of big issues
> to get the ball rolling.
>
> To help in compiling the list, what are some major issues from
> the ecosystem that you'd like to see fixed?

Probably the plan anyway, but my suggestion would be for the core
team to not hack on anything, but spend the time discussing
issues that have been discussed to death online but not resolved,
such as some devs not agreeing with Walter and the DIP 1000 path
he's taking.

Use the in-person time to get some heavy bandwidth on those
issues and try to make sure the differences are hashed out.
There may not be a final agreement on the solution, but there
certainly shouldn't be any more misunderstanding of the proposed
options.

For people not on the core team, they can hack on a lot of the
stuff mentioned in this thread, perhaps after coordinating with
the core team about what's really needed and how to go about
doing it.

Great idea, btw, to set aside a day just for this.