CTFE Status 2

Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 2 21:22:00 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 2 May 2017 at 22:08:31 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2 May 2017 at 09:55:56 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> I intended for the debugging functionality to be exposed via a
>> udp socket listening on localhost.
>> Such that a debug-ui does not have to deal with ipc
>> difficulties.
>
> Hm, rationale for UDP over TCP here? I would assume one
> wouldn't want debugging info to be delivered out of order (or
> not at all); I mean, I guess it would be ok for localhost only
> (though one is then depending on implementation specifics vs.
> protocol semantics), but *if* you use sockets, you will
> eventually get people who use that over the network (and then
> the fun begins). Using TCP would just remove any potential
> future headache from the equation.

I think any ordering should be done explicitly at the debugging
protocol level.
for example when sending sourceline messages the order is given
by the line number and ordering can be done by the application.
It's the same for breakpoint setting or for breakpoint trigger
notification.
As for lost packages, we want to respond intelligently as well.
And maybe reduce the amount of data in the package, to make
arrival of future packages more likely.