D and SCons

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 3 00:34:09 PDT 2017

On Wed, 2017-05-03 at 00:05 +0200, Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

[…]
> I've come to like SCons for my C++ projects. Way more so than say
> CMake.
> It would be awesome to have full-fledged support for D there esp. in
> mixed C++ with D setup.

I had been using SCons, SConsolidator, and Eclipse for C++ projects, or
Emacs, but when I found CLion I became a bit of an addict. Sadly though
it means using CMake – for now. For GStreamer related projects I am
using Meson.

SCons has D as a peer to C, C++, and Fortran. I think the D community
should make use of this, especially those with mixed C++/D codebases. I
am working on a dub tool to access the Dub repository without using Dub
as a build system. I have it grabbing unit-threaded and working fine. I
suspect though I am the only user.

> Not sure what you mean but did a quick look on the text. The
> compiler
> section and "Some general thoughts" feels a bit copy-pasty. I would
> also
> replace "to create the system" with "to create the compiler" or some
> such.

I rushed it off in 10 minutes, so yes, there is a bit of cut-and-paste.
The question is does the page have an audience? If yes then it is worth
progressing, if not then working on it would be wasted work.

> Could use some from:
> http://dlang.org/download.html

Good thinking, I wish I had thought of that :-) I'll check licences and
if allowable do the copy and use thing.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk