CTFE Status 2

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 3 05:15:48 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 3 May 2017 at 04:22:00 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> [...]
>
> I think any ordering should be done explicitly at the debugging
> protocol level.
> for example when sending sourceline messages the order is given
> by the line number and ordering can be done by the application.
> It's the same for breakpoint setting or for breakpoint trigger
> notification.

Why? If I were to write a client for the debugging protocol, I
wouldn't want to write protocol ordering logic (and essentially
reimplement part of tcp). I would want to react to protocol
messages as they arrive.

> As for lost packages, we want to respond intelligently as well.

The only way I know of to respond intelligently to lost packages
using udp - if you care about the information in them (which we
do in this use case) - is to implement a retransmit mechanism;
i.e. you would be reimplementing another part of tcp.

> And maybe reduce the amount of data in the package, to make
> arrival of future packages more likely.

You assume a causation between udp datagram size and delivery
probability, which - however likely - is an implementation detail.