CTFE Status 2

Adrian Matoga via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 3 06:10:24 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 30 April 2017 at 19:52:27 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 01:26:09PM +0000, Stefan Koch via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Thursday, 16 February 2017 at 21:05:51 UTC, Stefan Koch
>> wrote:
>> > [ ... ]
>>
>> Big news!
>> The first step to include debug info has been done.
>>
>> Yes this means you will be able to step through ctfe code
>> while the compiler executes it.
>
> Wow! Will that be accessible to users in the end?  That could
> be a totally awesome way of debugging CTFE code!

I used to think the same, but with each new line of code I write
that is to be executed in CT, I become more convinced that
there's no need to expose such debugging interface to the end
user. Why? Because the end user expects that CTFE either gives
exactly the same results as run-time execution or that it stops
with an explicit error message on something that is not designed
to be executed in CT.  Any other problem found during CTFE
execution must be 100% reproducible in run time or it's an ICE.
Any CTFE debugging should be only for compiler maintainers, and
the user shouldn't worry that CTFE could mess up something.