Fantastic exchange from DConf

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 5 23:26:29 PDT 2017

Walter Bright: I firmly believe that memory safety is gonna be an
absolute requirement moving forward, very soon, for programming
language selection.

Scott Meyers: For, for what kinds of applications?

Walter: Anything that goes on the internet.

Scott: Uh, let me just, sort of as background, given the
remaining popularity of C, unbelievable popularity of C, which is
far from a memory-safe language, do you think that that... I'm
having trouble reconciling the ongoing popularity of C with the
claim that you're making that this is going to be an absolute
requirement for programming languages going forward.

Walter: I believe memory safety will kill C.

Scott: ... Wow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gfwk-zRwmk#t=8h35m18s

The whole exchange starts with a question at the 8h:33m mark and
goes on for about 13 mins, worth listening to.

I agree with Walter that safety will be big going forward, should
have been big already.