Adding D code to a C++ codebase

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 6 07:00:14 PDT 2017

On Sat, 2017-05-06 at 12:11 +0000, qznc via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
>
> There is a plugin for IntelliJ [0], but I have not tried it. I
> don't know the Jetbrains products. Is Clion and IntelliJ IDEA the
> same core with different plugins and branding or is it really
> different?
>
> [0] https://github.com/intellij-dlanguage/intellij-dlanguage

There is indeed this work, and I am supposed to be helping out on it.
:-) However, it really needs more support to become mainstream: more
people actively working on it is the only way to get somewhere good in
a reasonable timescale.

C++ is supported in IntelliJ IDEA and has a whole IDE CLion.

Go has a plugin, but also a whole IDE Gogland.

Rust is rapidly creating an excellent plugin for IntelliJ.

The trick to all these is paid labour or lots of serious volunteer
effort.

Whether we like it or not, these days, the viability of a programming
language is determined as much by the IDE support as the language
itself. DDT has gone dormant, which is sad as a lot of C++ people use
Eclipse. Netbeans also has good C++ support, but is a bit niche. We at
least have an entry in the JetBrains IDE game, I think we have to push
this to get great support for D in CLion and IntelliJ IDEA not just so
we can develop stuff, but because D will be judged in the C++ vs Rust
vs Go vs D race by it's commonly used IDE support. Or at the moment
lack of it.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk