Jonathan Blow's presentation

Ethan Watson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 8 07:47:36 PDT 2017

On Monday, 8 May 2017 at 13:21:07 UTC, Rel wrote:
> What do you guys think of the points explained here:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWv_vUgbmug
>
> Seems like the language shares a lot of features with
> D programming language. However there are several
> features that caught my interest:
> 1) The compile times seems very fast in comparison
> with other modern programming languages, I'm wondering
> how he managed to do it?
> 2) Compile-time execution is not limited, the build
> system is interestingly enough built into the language.

I was at that talk, and spoke to him quite a bit there. He also
attended my talk. And yes, there is quite a bit of overlap in
terms of features. He's well in to design by introspection, for
example.

I can answer #1, I know a few things there but that's more
something he should talk about as I don't know how public he's
made that knowledge.

I also put forward to him a case with regards to compile time
execution and code generation. Say you've got a global variable
that you write to, and reading from that changes the kind of code
you will generate. Thus, your outputted code can be entirely
different according to whenever the compiler decides to schedule
that function for execution and compilation. His response was,
"Just don't do that."

That's essentially the philosophical difference there. Jonathan
wants a language with no restrictions, and leave it up to the
programmer to solve problems like the above themselves. Whether
you agree with that or not, well, that's an entirely different
matter.