Fantastic exchange from DConf

John Carter via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 8 13:55:02 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 6 May 2017 at 06:26:29 UTC, Joakim wrote:

> Walter: I believe memory safety will kill C.

C/C++ has been granted an extension of life by the likes of
valgrind and purify and *-sanitizer.

I think you will find everything that really matters and is
internet facing has been run up under a tool like that.

They are truly wonderfully power tools... with the limitation
that they are run time.

ie. If you don't run that line of code... they won't tell you if
you have it wrong.

Index out of bounds exceptions are great... but the elements of
Walter's talk we bugs are banished at compile time are more
compelling.

Now if we can get to the point where there is no undefined
behaviour in any safe code... that would be a major step forward.

Languages like Ruby are memory safe... but they are written in C
and hence have a very long catalog of bugs found and fixed in the
interpretor and supporting libraries.

D has the interesting promise of being memory safe and the
compiler and libraries being written in D.