What are we going to do about mobile?

Jerry via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 8 21:39:33 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 6 April 2017 at 05:24:07 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> That means this tidal wave of mobile swamping PCs is only going
> to get worse:
>
> https://twitter.com/lukew/status/842397687420923904
>
> D is currently built and optimized for that dying PC platform.
> There are only two devs working on mobile, Dan and me, I don't
> think anybody on the core team has even tried our work.

"dying". Just cause there aren't a lot of new devices being sold
doesn't mean it is dying. There's the used market to consider,
and PCs have a long lifespan. I have a 7 year old desktop that
still runs perfectly fine and does all the tasks and computing I
need to be done. I'll probably be using it for another few years,
maybe when zen+ comes out or there's actually a reason to buy a
new computer. Even then I won't be buying a prebuilt, not sure if
those sales figures includes sales of PC parts. Even though new
PC sales are declining, GPU sales are seeing a major increase in
sales.