Jonathan Blow's presentation

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 9 01:38:14 PDT 2017

On 05/09/2017 04:12 AM, Ethan Watson wrote:

> In this case, the cost of
> decompressing audio on the CPU was either unfeasible in real time or
> increased load times dramatically during load times. Loading
> uncompressed audio off the disk was legitimately an optimisation in both
> cases.

I'm surprised it would've made that much of a difference, I'd grown
accustomed to seeing audio decoding as computationally cheap on even
low-end hardware.

But then again, I suppose the average level of a modern AAA game may
involve a bit more audio data than the average MP3 song (not to mention
a lot more audio streams playing simultaneously), and is already maxing
the hardware as much as it can.