Jonathan Blow's presentation

Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 9 01:44:04 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 at 08:24:40 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> On 05/09/2017 02:10 AM, Patrick Schluter wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 at 02:13:19 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
>> (Abscissa) wrote:
>>> On 05/08/2017 03:28 PM, Jack Stouffer wrote:
>>>>
>>> Uncompressed? Seriously? I assume that really means FLAC or
>>> something
>>> rather than truly uncompressed, but even still...sounds more
>>> like a
>>> bullet-list pandering^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hselling point to the
>>> same
>>> suckers^H^H^H^H^H^H^H"classy folk" who buy Monster-brand
>>> cables for
>>> digital signals than a legit quality enhancement. Take a
>>> top-of-the-line $$$$ audio system, set down a room full of
>>> audiophiles, and compare lossless vs 320kbps Vorbis...in a
>>> true
>>> double-blind, no WAY they'd be able to consistently spot the
>>> difference even if they try. Let alone while being detracted
>>> by all
>>> the fun of causing mass mayhem and carnage. Unless maybe you
>>> just
>>> happen to stumble upon some kind of audio savant.
>>
>> Don't need to go that high. c't did a double blind study some
>> years ago
>> with the help of her sister magazine for audio equipment. So
>> they made a
>> very good setup. What they discovered is that mp3 with 160
>> kbit/s CBR
>> was already undistinguishable from CD for 99% of people for
>> almost all
>> kind of music. mp3 is much better than its reputation, due to
>> really bad
>
> Interesting. Any links? Not familiar with what "c't" is.

https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Kreuzverhoertest-287592.html

So, I got some details wrong in my recollection from memory. They
compared 128 kbit/s, 256 kbit/s and CD. To remove bias, they
burnt the mp3 after decompression on CD so that the testers
couldn't distinguish between the 3 formats and played them in
their high quality audio setup in their studios. The result was
surprizing in that there was no difference between CD and 256K
mp3, and only a slightly lower score for 128K mp3. They were also
surprized that for some kind of music (classical), the mp3 128K
was even favored by some testers over the other formats and they
speculate that the encoding rounds out somehow some roughness of
the music.
They also had one tester who was 100% accurate at recognizing mp3
over CD, but the guy had had a hearing accident in his youth
where he lost part of the hearing spectrum (around 8KHz) which
breaks the psycho-acoustic model and allows him to hear noise
that is suppressed for the not hearing impared.

I don't know where I got the 160 KBit part of my message.