Thoughts on some code breakage with 2.074

Adam Wilson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 9 05:13:34 PDT 2017

On 5/8/17 20:33, Brian Schott wrote:
> Recently the EMSI data department upgraded the compiler we use to build
> our data processing code to 2.074. This caused several of the thousands
> of processes to die with signal 8 (floating point exceptions). This was
> caused by the fix to issue 17243.
>
> This is a good thing. We need more breaking changes like this.
>
> Now that the floating point exceptions are properly enabled we were able
> to track down some issues that were being silently ignored.

WUT.

All I hear on these forums is the abject terror of breaking changes
making companies run screaming from D. You mean to say that companies
don't actually mind breaking changes if it solves long-standing issues.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED I SAY!

;-)

Can we PLEASE get more of this? I'm not saying up-end the language, but
let's solve some problems. I doubt our corporate users will be very
angry. I suspect that most reactions will fall between "minor
irritation" and this one.

/me looks sideways at shared

--
Adam Wilson