Jonathan Blow's presentation

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 9 09:58:31 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 at 16:26:35 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> Some things like phasing/smearing in high frequency content and
> imaging does affect the experience, although the effect is very

I want to add that of course, modern commercial music is already
ruined by too much compression and dynamic abuse so it is
distorted from the beginning... just to get a loud signal. Trash
in -> trash out. Same with speakers. Regular speakers are poor.
Use a good headset (E.g. Sennheiser HD600 or better) and
preferably use the same headset the audio engineer used...
Loudspeaker in room -> not the same signal as on the CD.

Anyway, it is a complicated topic. I went to a two hours lecture
on it a week ago. We were told to use this book: Applied Signal
Processing: A MATLAB™-Based Proof of Concept by Dutoit and
Marqués. It comes with code in matlab so you can modify the mp3
algorithms and explore the effects yourself. :)