Jonathan Blow's presentation [OT]

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 9 11:14:15 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 at 17:25:37 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> me anyway) - Any idea offhand where to find a good set of
> clip-style headphones?

Unfortunately not. I try to avoid headphones these days, too easy
to crank up the volume without noticing, especially if you have
good ones which can go up to 120db without distortion...

> That's something I've been dying to find for years (I don't
> like "earbuds" - I find sticking thing

Yeah, don't use consumer-earbuds, can easily damage your hearing.

> At this point, I don't care about cost, would just like to find
> a reliable good-sounding (ie, at least comparable to Koss's
> sound quality) clip-style. Any leads? Is there even such a
> thing has high-end, or even mid-range clip headphones?

I've kinda stopped consuming music when travelling, but I
personally prefer large headsets that enclose the ear completely.
Closed ones in non-silent environment so you don't crank the
volume up too much. A bit clunky even if foldable of course... I
used some from Ultrasone, not the best quality, but decent. I
think personal taste and musical style kinda means that you have
to test them in a store to make up your mind.

I guess you could ask at the https://www.head-fi.org/ forums, but
not sure if that site is good anymore? It was a useful resource a
decade ago, but seems to be rammed down with awful ads now?
Unbearable.

Btw people say that one should keep new headset playing some
heavy bass for 10? hours after purchasing before evaluating them,
something about the coils needing to be run in. Well, they are
mechanical so I guess that makes sense (tightening, friction or
something). Maybe different for cans without coils...