Jonathan Blow's presentation [OT]

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 9 17:43:25 PDT 2017

On 05/09/2017 02:14 PM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

> I've kinda stopped consuming music when travelling, but I personally
> prefer large headsets that enclose the ear completely. Closed ones in
> non-silent environment so you don't crank the volume up too much. A bit
> clunky even if foldable of course... I used some from Ultrasone, not the
> best quality, but decent. I think personal taste and musical style kinda
> means that you have to test them in a store to make up your mind.

Hmm, regarding large over-the-ear ones, about a year or two ago I made
the mistake of shelling out for one of Sony's "PlayStation Gold"
headsets. Was initially thrilled with it (except they look hideous while
they're being worn - like any Sony headset really), but then as with
most other people who got them, it didn't take too long before I hit the
infamous problem of its cheap plastic (on a $100 pair??? That's Sony I
guess) cracking and breaking. :/

> I guess you could ask at the https://www.head-fi.org/ forums, but not
> sure if that site is good anymore? It was a useful resource a decade
> ago, but seems to be rammed down with awful ads now? Unbearable.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

> Btw people say that one should keep new headset playing some heavy bass
> for 10? hours after purchasing before evaluating them, something about
> the coils needing to be run in. Well, they are mechanical so I guess
> that makes sense (tightening, friction or something). Maybe different
> for cans without coils...

Interesting, first I've heard that. Good to know.