Fantastic exchange from DConf

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 10 05:46:52 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 10 May 2017 at 11:50:32 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 09, 2017 07:13:31 Walter Bright via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On 5/8/2017 1:55 PM, John Carter wrote:

> Atila commented at dconf that working with allocators in D code
> for the excel wrapper library he had worked on was like he was
> stuck in C++ again with all of the memory problems that he had.
> @safe and the GC have _huge_ value.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Actually, it was worse than being back in C++ land: there I can
use valgrind and address sanitizer. With D's allocators I was
lost.

I'd forgotten how much "fun" it was to print pointer values to
the terminal to track down memory bugs. It's especially fun when
you're on Windows, your code is in a DLL loaded by a program you
don't control and DebugViewer is your only friend.

Atila