Re: dmd: can't build on Arch Linux or latest Ubuntu

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 10 14:26:20 PDT 2017

Marco Leise wrote:

> Am Wed, 10 May 2017 20:59:33 +0300
> schrieb ketmar <ketmar at ketmar.no-ip.org>:

>> yeah, the great thing. i was hit by that bus too, and had to mutilate
>> druntime to make unittests work again. lucky me, i'm using static
>> phobos. don't even want to think about the scale of the disaster for
>> people with libphobos2.so...
>
> O.O
>
> Like what will happen to us on Gentoo with libphobos2.so when
> binutils-2.8 moves to stable here? And can it all be solved by
> compiling with -fPIC, like is required for hardened
> installations anyways or are there dmd versions that flat out
> wont work any longer?

sorry, i don't know about PIC (not using it). otherwise, you won't be able
to run anything with shared phobos: druntime conflict scanner will always
find a conflict and abort (that is what happening with test_runner). at
least 2.074 is affected. i "solved" it by commenting out druntime checker,
but this cannot be used as a general solution, of course: the checker
should be fixed. yet i don't know enough about elf and .so (and, tbh, i
don't even *want* to dive there).

bugreport says that PIC is a working solution (i.e. binaries and libraries
built with -fPIC should work). i didn't checked it, tho (not a big fan of
PIC).