DConf 2017 Hackathon report [OT]

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 11 14:37:45 PDT 2017

On 11 May 2017 at 23:19, David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 May 2017 at 21:14:16 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>> Oh, do you have to do the multi-stage build yourself?  I don't.
>

> So you intend to keep a copy of the (old) bootstrap compiler sources in-tree
> for all future D-based GDC versions (if/when you start requiring D)? We
> could do that just as well, but it seems a bit pointless. — David

I do not intend to.  Which is why switching to D-based GDC will be a
no-op.  It is at this point that you've lost me, there is no added
complexity building a self-hosted compiler within GCC's build system.
C++ is self-hosted, Ada is self-hosted, an acquaintance of mine even
wrote a self-hosted ALGOL60 frontend to GCC.  This is not a problem
that needs to be solved for GDC.

Iain.