Fantastic exchange from DConf

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 11 18:11:59 PDT 2017

On 05/10/2017 08:06 AM, Patrick Schluter wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 May 2017 at 06:28:31 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 09:19:08PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky
> [...]
>> Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but my current unfounded hypothesis is
>> that the majority of C/C++ programmers ...
>
> Just a nitpick, could we also please stop conflating C and C++
> programmers? My experience is that C++ programmer are completely
> clueless when it comes to C programming? They think they know C but it's
> generally far away. The thing is, that C has evolved with C99 and C11
> and the changes have not all been adopted by C++ (and Microsoft actively
> stalling the adoption of C99 in Visual C didn't help either).

I wouldn't know the difference all that well anyway. Aside from a brief
stint playing around with the Marmalade engine, the last time I was
still really using C *or* C++ was back when C++ *did* mean little more
than "C with classes" (and there was this new "templates" thing that was
considered best avoided for the time being because all the
implementations were known buggy). I left them when I could tell the
complexity of getting things done (in either) was falling way behind the
modern curve, and there were other languages which offered sane
productivity without completely sacrificing low-level capabilities.