D is really cool

nkm1 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 12 23:47:54 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 13 May 2017 at 02:53:16 UTC, Mike B Johnson wrote:
> On Friday, 12 May 2017 at 22:05:54 UTC, Faux Amis wrote:
>>
>> Somehow totally missed your message, welcome!
>>
>> After reading all the GC comments on reddit:
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/6as1di/serialization_in_d/
>> I wish more people could just try it out and experience why
>> the D GC is a handy thing to have on hand.
>>

> For who? It is a nightmare(ok, not that bad) for some.

I don't think it's about GC per se, it's the sort of GC that D
has, in particular that it has to scan all memory (that has
pointers) to do collections. If D had the kind of GC that
Java/C#/Go have, that would've been different. I read some old
threads and learned why D's GC cannot (or should not) be
optimized like that, but yeah, scanning so much memory is not
acceptable in some situations. And sure, there are ways to deal
with that - like not allocating, or using malloc (or that
experimental allocator thing that is not totally clear to me :),
or using RAII (currently has some bugs), or RefCounted, or
Atilla's library... but, as someone on Reddit said, at the moment
that is rather "unergonomic".
I'm sure that will get better over time, though. At least I don't
see why not. Most of what is needed is already there.