D is really cool

Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 13 08:18:38 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 13 May 2017 at 11:05:26 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Saturday, 13 May 2017 at 06:47:54 UTC, nkm1 wrote:
>
>> Atilla's library... but, as someone on Reddit said, at the
>> moment that is rather "unergonomic".
>> I'm sure that will get better over time, though. At least I
>> don't see why not. Most of what is needed is already there.
>
> The problem with trying to satisfy Reddit is that they want the
> GC removed from the language. They want it off by default, they
> want all language features to work without the GC, they want
> all of Phobos to be free of the GC, and they want all code
> anyone else writes in D to be written without the GC in case
> they want to call that code.
>
> I'm all for adding additional features to the language for
> those that prefer to avoid the GC. But that's not what the
> anti-GC coalition is asking for.

The worse is that most of this whiners don't even know how the GC
in D works as made completely obvious by this thread [0].
This is the perfect illustration that most of the anti-GC brigade
at reddit are out to lunch. I'm wondering if catering to these
requirements is a good idea.

[0]:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/6as1di/serialization_in_d/dhhvly2/