Fantastic exchange from DConf

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 14 05:13:43 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 14 May 2017 at 09:56:18 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 May 2017 at 02:11:36 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Sunday, 14 May 2017 at 00:05:56 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
>> wrote:
>>
>>> (a) Trust the programmer.
>>
>> I don't understand this point. C doesn't offer the programmer
>> much to work with. If you trust the programmer, shouldn't that
>> mean you provide a large set of tools and let them decide
>> which parts to use? C is pretty much "here are some pointers,
>> go have fun".
>
> Hi - I think this point really is saying that the type system
> in C is for convenience only - ultimately if you as a
> programmer want to manipulate memory in a certain way then C
> assumes you know what you are doing and why. As I said C is
> really a high level assembler.
>
> Regards

I guess my point is that C only trusts programmers in one
direction. You can go as low-level as you want, but it doesn't
trust you to use more productive features when that is better
(but it certainly gives you the tools to roll your own buggy,
hard-to-share version of those features). D, C++, and Rust really
do trust the programmer.