Fantastic exchange from DConf

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 16 10:29:36 PDT 2017

On 5/16/17 11:19 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/5/2017 11:26 PM, Joakim wrote:
>> Walter: I believe memory safety will kill C.
>
> I can't find any definitive explanation of what the Wannacry exploit is.
> One person told me it was an overflow bug, another that it was
> truncation from converting 32 to 16 bits.
>
> Anyhow, the Wannacry disaster looks to be a very expensive lesson in
> using memory unsafe languages for critical software. I know Microsoft
> has worked for years to use their own C which is memory safer,
> apparently it is not enough.
>
> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/martynl/2005/10/10/annotations-yet-more-help-finding-buffer-overflows/

Scott: "I am skeptical of the claim that memory safety is going to kill
[C] off because it has been known that this is not a memory safe
language for decades."

Dylan: "Do you think that maybe Walter and Andrei planted the memory
safety topic just to try to kill C?"

Scott: "You know that would be like them..."

1 week later: WanaCry.  Both Walter and WanaCry start with W. Hm....

-Steve