DIP 1003 Formal Review

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 16 11:34:06 PDT 2017

On 5/12/17 12:17 PM, Mike Parker wrote:
> The first stage of the formal review for DIP 1003 [1], "Remove body as a
> Keyword", is now underway. From now until 11:59 PM ET on May 26 (3:59 AM
> GMT on May 27), the community has the opportunity to provide last-minute
> feedback. If you missed the preliminary review [2], this is your chance
> to provide input.
>
> At the end of the feedback period, I will submit the DIP to Walter and
> Andrei for their final decision. Thanks in advance to those of you who
> participate.
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/fbb797f61ac92300eda1d63202157cd2a30ba555/DIPs/DIP1003.md
>

> [2] http://forum.dlang.org/thread/qgxvrbxrvkxtimzvnetu@forum.dlang.org

Before we go down endlessly debating which keywords would work best to
replace body here, can someone please inform the crowd why just having
body remain as it is now, but *not* be a keyword is unworkable?

The more I think about it, the more I think that option 1 is the far far
far superior option. Zero existing code breaks, and we now have access
to our own body symbols (and we don't even have to go through a
deprecation period). However, if there is a missing lynch pin that shows
why this cannot work, then it's better to take it off the table now.

-Steve