Why dfmt, dcd, dscanner, ... are not bundled together?

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 17 03:01:18 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 17 May 2017 at 09:00:12 UTC, aberba wrote:
> These tool seem core to D development and will likely simplify
> plugin dev. Are there any technical reasons why they are not
> bundled together in installer (such that each release comes
> with compatible versions of tools)?
>
> In Ubuntu, there is a repo with all these tools and they work
> OK.

There's also the hope that one day SDC or dmd-fe can be used for
plugin development as libdparse and its tools are inherently
quite limited due to a missing semantic analysis phase.
Furthermore it's also a bit political e.g.

https://github.com/dlang-community/dfmt/issues/249

However, since a couple of days these tools have been moved to a
community-maintained organization:

http://forum.dlang.org/post/abbprxuwgqlmuuwdfgmg@forum.dlang.org

This means that development in this area is a lot easier.
A couple of ideas:

1) Now that DMD can be packaged for distro, these tools could be
put into the main distro (Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora/CentOS, openSUSE,
...) as well [1]
2) An bundled release could be automatically created on every
commit to these repos [2]

I also opened these topics on dlang-community/discussions:

[1] Distro packaging:
https://github.com/dlang-community/discussions/issues/8
[2] Bundled releases:
https://github.com/dlang-community/discussions/issues/9