Weak Eco System?

juanjux via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 17 09:32:45 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 17 May 2017 at 11:08:00 UTC, ezneh wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 May 2017 at 10:48:40 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
>> On 5/17/17 4:19 AM, Benro wrote:
>>> I wonder if the inability for D community to grow is not more
>>> related to the fairly noticeable arrogant attitude of its
>>> members.
>>>
>>> One only need to read past messages on this forum to see the
>>> exact same issue over and over again. People mention issues
>>> and the standard response: "Why do you not do x" or act with
>>> a sense of superiority.
>>
>> Thanks for your comments. I agree we should improve the tone
>> in our community. I have also gotten much feedback recently
>> about the first five minutes experience, even before getting
>> to hefty propositions like authoring an IDE (or plugin). There
>> will be changes in that area coming soon. All points are well
>> taken. Thanks! -- Andrei
>
> Well, I recently tried to get C++ working on windows (Trying to
> learn it too along with D).
>
> I can say that unless you use Visual Studio, it is a real pain
> to make any other environment working on it. I can't understand
> _why_ there are different implementations of the C++ standard
> library and they are not compatible with every compiler. It's
> like if LDC, GDC and DMD had their own standard library and
> "peace out".
>
> It was really a terrible experience. Thankfully, D is really
> much simpler to get working (if we don't use Visual Studio).

I use D with the Vim plugin, Dutyl. The installation of
dependences is somewhat manual but once it installed it works
perfectly well. Compared with the Go plugin the only thing that I
miss is auto downloading of dependences; maybe I'll try to make a
PR tonight.

The original poster attitude to the exclamation sounds incredibly
disproportionate. Replies were friendly until that point. As
another newcomer newcomer, sounds like another Rust user
extending the Crusade, but maybe is just me.