Fantastic exchange from DConf

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 17 13:46:50 PDT 2017

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 01:41:43PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 5/17/2017 3:21 AM, Joakim wrote:
> > Hmm, this talk has become the most-viewed from this DConf, by far
> > beating Scott's keynote.  Wonder how, as this seems to be the only
> > link to it, hasn't been posted on reddit/HN.  I guess people like
> > panels, the process panel last year is one of the most viewed videos
> > also.
>
> I received -2 net votes on Hackernews for suggesting that the takeaway
> from the WannaCry fiasco for developers should be to use memory safe
> languages.
>
> Maybe the larger community isn't punished enough yet.

People aren't willing to accept that their cherished choice of language
may have been the wrong one, especially if they have invested much of
their lives in mastering said language.

Though from what I can tell, the WannaCry fiasco is more than merely a
matter of memory safety; it also involves backdoors. Backdoors are
always considered "safe" by the people who implement them, but
unfortunately, time and time again history has proven that backdoors
always get found by the wrong people, usually with disastrous
consequences.  Security by obscurity does not work, yet people continue
to believe it does.

Long, long ago, the ancient Chinese invented a device that lets them see through walls. It was called the "window".