Fantastic exchange from DConf

Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 17 22:07:38 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 18 May 2017 at 00:58:31 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 5/17/17 8:27 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 04:16:59PM -0700, Walter Bright via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>
>>> It may not be the developers that initiate this change. It'll
>>> be the
>>> managers and the customers who force the issue - as those are
>>> the
>>> people who'll pay the bill for the problems.
>>
>> That may or may not force a shift to a different language. In
>> fact, the
>> odds are heavily stacked against a language change. Most
>> management are
>> concerned (and in many cases, rightly so) about the cost of
>> rewriting
>> decades-old "proven" software as opposed to merely plugging
>> the holes in
>> the existing software.  As long as they have enough coders
>> plugging away
>> at the bugs, they're likely to be inclined to say "good
>> enough".
>
> What will cause a shift is a continuous business loss.
>
> If business A and B are competing in the same space, and
> business A has a larger market share, but experiences a
> customer data breach. Business B consumes many of A's
> customers, takes over the market, and it turns out that the
> reason B wasn't affected was that they used a memory-safe
> language.
>
> The business cases like this will continue to pile up until it
> will be considered ignorant to use a non-memory safe language.
> It will be even more obvious when companies like B are much
> smaller and less funded than companies like A, but can still
> overtake them because of the advantage.
>
> At least, this is the only way I can see C ever "dying". And of
> course by dying, I mean that it just won't be selected for
> large startup projects. It will always live on in low level
> libraries, and large existing projects (e.g. Linux).
>
> I wonder how much something like D in betterC mode can take
> over some of these tasks?

If you get it to compile for and run the code on an AVR, Cortex
R0 or other 16 bit µC, then it would have a chance to replace C.
As it stands, C is the only general "high-level" language that
can be used for some classes of cpu's.
D requires afaict at least a 32 bit system with virtual memory,
which is already a steep requirement for embedded stuff.
C will remain relevant in everything below that.