C and memory safety comments by me

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 19 06:48:34 PDT 2017

On Friday, 19 May 2017 at 13:35:07 UTC, Tobias Mueller wrote:

> I don't really understand why there is so much bashing of other
> languages on this forum (not just Rust, but also Java, C, C++,
> etc). For me personally, this leaves a bad taste and makes the
> D community look unfriendly.
> There's room for both, Rust and D. Some just don't want a GC,
> for whatever valid or invalid reason. And some like it. Some
> like the terseness of D and others the explicitness of Rust.
> Some prefer the declarative nature of Rust, others the
> introspection of D.
> As I see it, Rust and D might target similar problems, but as a
> language they are quite different.

I'm not sure I see a lot of bashing of other languages take place
here. On the second part of your comment, I'd not only agree, but
I'd say Rust is good for D. The two languages are simply too far
apart to appeal to the same programmers. That means D can
specialize and go deeply in its area, with no pressure to do what
Rust is doing. You can call one from the other, so I don't see a
problem. D is not a company, it is a language, and the focus
should be on being as good as possible in one area. It's no
longer 1980 where you have to use C for things it was not
designed to do.