C and memory safety comments by me

Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 19 14:38:25 PDT 2017

On Friday, 19 May 2017 at 13:45:04 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 5/19/17 9:35 AM, Tobias Mueller wrote:
>
>> They do however say that the actual knowledge about Rust in
>> the D
>> community seems to be rather small, compared to the amount of
>> criticism
>> against it. And TBQH I have to agree. To criticize, you should
>> at least
>> have a basic understanding of it.
>
> The comments about Andrei saying Rust can't call into C or have
> C call back are quite harsh. Looking at Rust's ability to call
> C API, it seems they have a point -- it appears to be just like
> D in that you just declare an extern C function and can call it.
>
> Disclaimer: have never used Rust.

What I've noticed is that Andrei and sometimes Walter do say C
but mean C++ (note that the C++ files in the dmd code have only
.c extension, not the usual .cpp). That is also why I had to make
that remark the other day to be careful to not conflate C and C++
as they are really very different. The old canard that C is a
subset of C++ was never true and has always been imo te thing
that made C++ the Frankenstein monster it evolved into.