DIP 1008 Preliminary Review Round 1

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 20 06:06:01 PDT 2017

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 12:02:10 AM PDT Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On 5/19/2017 8:54 PM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > And the reality of the matter is that using the GC has real benefits,
> > and
> > trying to avoid it comes at a real cost, much as a number of C++
> > progammers want to complain and deride as soon as they hear that D has
> > a GC. And honestly, even having @nogc all over the place won't make
> > many of them happy, because the GC is still in the language.
>
> Also, have a GC makes CTFE real nice.

Yeah, especially when you're not allowed to manually allocate memory in
CTFE. :)

And given that Stephan thinks that ref is too hard to implement in newCTFE
(IIRC from what he said at dconf anyway), I'd hate to think what it would
take to allow something like malloc or free.

- Jonathan M Davis