My two cents on what D needs to be more successful...

Basile B. via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 21 04:54:02 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 21 May 2017 at 11:27:19 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> Coedit is actually by far my favorite IDE for D testing and
> debugging.
>
> I liked it immediately after I saw that it doesn't need to
> create a project if all you need it compile and test a small D
> script.
>
> I know I can create a project, but for tiny projects I don't
> use it on purpose, despite I personally prefer to have only one
> file per class, because projects tie the source code
> compilation to a particular IDE.
>
> All my tools can be compiled with "dmd xxx.d", which is really
> as simple as it can possibly be.
>
> I know that "dmd aaa.d bbb.d ccc.ddd ..." works too, but as
> long as my scripts are just a few hundreds of lines of code
> long, I'm ok with that.
>
> My only concerns with Coedit are a few usability problems when
> editing the code.
>
> By default :
>
> * When I copy a block of code, I have to select it from the end
> of the previous line, or else the inserted code indentation
> goes wrong.

Indeed.

> * When doing a find and replace, Coedit replaces the next
> occurrence despite I don't see it and I'm not sure I want to
> replace it, instead of the one highlighted under the cursor,
> which I'm totally sure I want to replace.

There's a checkbox that allows to activate prompts when a match
is found.

> * A closing brace is automatically inserted at the wrong
> position and with a unwanted blank line if I put enter to
> insert a missing closing brace.
>
>   I'm not sure, but I think the case is the following :
>   {
>       {
>           {
>           }<- editor bugs if I put enter to manually add the
> missing brace on the next line
>   }

This feature is still a bit dumb when you're in the middle of
existing code.
When writing new code it works fine. It can be fully deactivated
by the bye.
I encounter this issue as well but very occasionally.

> * The regular expressions are always enabled by default when
> searching text.

It doesn't mean that you have to fill the search field with a
REGEX. It means that you CAN type one but it's not a requirement
! Plain text will be searched in a standard way, whatever is the
state of the "Allow regex" option, which means "contains text" or
"exact text" depedning on the "whole word" option.

> * When I change some preferences, Coedit only keeps them until
> the next restart.

That would be surprising. Please open an issue for this or let's
talk on IRC.

> I don't mind posting my usability remarks on your Github

You should really. My level of satisfaction is not universal.
Without feedback it'll stay specialized for my own usage.