Simplifying druntime and phobos by getting rid of "shared static this()" blocks

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 24 08:49:58 PDT 2017

> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5421
>
> Looking forward to more in the same vein, please contribute! We have 25
> left in phobos and 12 in druntime. A big one will be making the GC
> lazily initialize itself. -- Andrei

So every time I do:

writeln(...)

It has to go through a check to see if it's initialized? Using a delegate?

Has the performance of this been tested?

I agree the stdiobase thing is ugly. We could also fix this by improving
the cycle detection mechanism (e.g. you could tag the static ctor that
initializes the handles to say it doesn't depend on any other static
ctors, and just put it in stdio).

-Steve