Warning, ABI breakage from 2.074 to 2.075

Jason King via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 25 08:02:00 PDT 2017

That’s a fairly important requirement if it’s supposed to be a systems
programming language, less so for application focused stuff.  I would hope
it’s at least an eventual goal even if it’s not quite the case today.

On May 25, 2017 at 8:26:04 AM, Joakim via Digitalmars-d (
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com) wrote:

On Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 10:42:44 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
> Static libraries that are
> - compiled with dmd 2.074 (maybe previous versions too)
> - call format() in their API
>
> will be responsible for strange errors when used by programs
> compiled with dmd 2.075. People will see their software raising
> a FormatException (orphan argument) for no reason. When the
> static library will be recompiled with dmd 2.075 the errors
> will disappear.
>
> I haven't investigated much since there's been a non trivial
> amount of change in std.format() during the this spring. I
> don't know what to do with this facts except to report them
> here.

Why is this unexpected? D has never committed to ABI stability
across compiler versions or the different D compilers.