Warning, ABI breakage from 2.074 to 2.075

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 25 08:44:56 PDT 2017

On 5/25/17 11:02 AM, Jason King via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> That’s a fairly important requirement if it’s supposed to be a systems
> programming language, less so for application focused stuff.  I would
> hope it’s at least an eventual goal even if it’s not quite the case today.

Two large reasons why D is not focused on ABI compatibility:

1. Most of Phobos is templates. Template signatures can change easily
from one version to the next, even if the template didn't change. C++
has the same issue.
2. D is generally statically compiled, not with shared libs. There is
some progress on this front, but really, until the shared library
support is mainstream, then having binary compatibility between
releases, and therefore ABI compatibility, is not critical -- you have
to recompile anyway.

-Steve