A Few thoughts on C, C++, and D

Ola Fosheim Grostad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 29 22:50:13 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 30 May 2017 at 01:46:02 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> I'm not necessarily disagreeing with RW's post. My reading is
> that the goal would be to get D into the enterprise, but maybe
> I misinterpreted. If D as a successor to Vala leads to more
> projects like Tilix, that's great.

I never quite understood the enterprise-focus either. What I like
to see for a language is a difficult use scenario being
maintainable. I sometimes browse large code bases just to see if
a language leads to readable code.

> writing better documentation for Dub, and so on. Incremental
> improvements lead to incremental adoption of D.

Yes, I think retention is the most important factor in the case
of D. Identify and understand why polyglot programmers either
stay with D or leave. Then give those areas the highest priority,
especially exit-triggering issues.

Focusing on getting many libraries won't work, because you need
to maintain them. I never use unmaintained libraries... Having
many unmaintained libraries is in a way worse than having a few
long-running ones that improve at a steady pace.

> I'll also note that Vala didn't catch on, so being the
> successor to Vala by itself may not help D adoption.

Being perceived as the best for something helps. Vala was the
best for something narrow. I think Rust is being perceived as the
best for runtime-less programming with high level features (right
or wrong) and Go is perceived as having a runtime for web
services.

So I personally perceive Rust and Go in different sectors of the
spectrum. I have more problems placing Nim, Haxe, D etc.