A Few thoughts on C, C++, and D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 30 01:41:49 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 30 May 2017 at 07:56:43 UTC, Wulfklaue wrote:
> Its been my firm believe that lose packages are a detriment to
> a language.

It isn't good if many of the interesting packages are
unmaintained, as it gives an sense of being in the past.

> Half baked solutions are no solutions. Packages need to be part
> of the language standard or "extended" library.

Standard libraries should stay small as they are hard to
deprecate. Have official lists instead.

> One can simply look at Go. 100.000 packages, 98% are junk,
> unfinished, not maintained, etc. And people are forced to dive
> into the junk to find the good ones. Its the same with other
> languages and there unenforced third party packages.

There is a solution for this: "awesome lists"

https://github.com/avelino/awesome-go

The problem for a small language is more when a very useful
library become unmaintained, then people wonder why not somebody
else took over.