[OT] I-frame cutting in H.264

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 30 06:10:21 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 30 May 2017 at 11:32:21 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> So unless you know that every I-frame is an IDR in your sources
> it is not advisable to use them as cut points.

I'll assume that Sociomantic doesn't have the original video
source.

Pretty much what Marco Leise said.
While video packaged for internet streaming will have IDR very
regularly (between every 2 to 10 sec for example), there are a
lot of technical hurdles.

Anyway, multiple video reencodings aren't as bad as it sounds.
You are basically capped to the lowest bitrate it was encoded
with, but subsequent higher encodings.
The typical football match being broadcast has been encoded
sometimes thrice over the full chain, albeit with high bitrates.

Youtube has low bitrates but manages to do well with it, which
means one can upload a higher bitrate to Youtube which means on
total

For this reason cutting fragments of H.264 would not really
achieve anything against the following solution: keep the same
resolution, same chroma subsampling than the source you have, no
framerate change, and upload to Youtube a remixed video _with a
higher bitrate_.

Youtube will reencode anything you upload it to anyway. Multiple
encodings are much more objectionable with sound.