What is the FreeBSD situation?

codephantom me at noyb.com
Thu Nov 2 06:07:58 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 2 November 2017 at 04:25:26 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> From the recent PR-related discussion I gather that FreeBSD 12
> has made some breaking changes to file primitives such as stat.
>
> Do binaries built for pre-v12 crash on v12? If that's the case
> we should have two distinct build platforms, FreeBSD "legacy"
> and FreeBSD 12. They would be selected statically.
>
> IF older binaries don't crash, what mechanism is FreeBSD 12
> using to identify old API calls?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

Targetted versioning should be implemented. Full stop ;-)

Pre ino64 ABI compatibility can be obtained in 12, **if** the
kernel is compiled with option COMPAT_FREEBSD11 (presumably this
option is enabled in the DEFAULT kernel)...

That option enables 'several techniques' that can mitigate for
ABI breakage, but it won't work for all cases - really depends on
what the application is doing with struct stat.

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/sys/stat.h?view=markup#l158