Improve "Improve Contract Syntax" DIP 1009

codephantom me at noyb.com
Thu Nov 2 08:58:03 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 2 November 2017 at 04:26:20 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> It's not entirely your fault, though, since you probably were
> not here at the time, and wouldn't have been aware of said
> discussions.

Yeah.. I had a brief look over some of those discussions before
posting my comment above.

But even there I could not see a strong case being made.

This would be nice..convenient..and save a few key strokes is one
thing...

..but we must go write a DIP because 'we need a change' is
another all together.

The 'case of the stolen body'  ;-) ... seems to have been made
solved though.. and 'do' seemed like a reasonable replacement.

but now we want free floating statements in D?

like:
in(a > 0)
in(b >= 0, "b cannot be negative!")
out(r; r > 0, "return must be positive")
out(; a != 0)

Now, I'm new to D (I only discovered it a month or so ago)...but
do free floating statements already exist in the language?

If I saw that when I came to D a month or so ago, I'd would
probably have moved on to something else...