[OT] Windows dying

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 14:29:27 UTC 2017

On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 14:12:56 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> [snip]
>
> But that established PC userbase shrinking is not what you
> should be worried about.  I've talked to multiple middle-class
> consumers in developing markets- they would be considered poor
> in the US if you converted their income to dollars- who tell me
> that they recently got their first smartphone for $150-200 and
> that it is the first time they ever used the internet, with
> cheap 3G/4G plans that are only now springing up.  They don't
> use the web, only mobile chat or social apps.
>
> Now, do you think these billions of new users of computing and
> the internet are more likely to buy a cheap laptop shell or
> dock for their smartphone when they someday need to do some
> "lean forward" work, as you call it, or spend much more on a
> Windows PC?  I know where my bet is.

It's pretty clear from this and some of the other posts that your
primary focus is computer users. The work you've done in getting
LDC to compile programs for Android is a good example. You want
to be able to compile D programs that go on a smart phone because
that's where the growth of computer users is coming from. I get
that. 100%.

I think a source of pushback on the Windows subject is that
programmers are a mere subset of all computer users. Maybe the
billions might buy a cheap laptop shell or dock, but that doesn't
mean they will be programmers. Thus, it's good to be able to
compile programs for that platform, but it doesn't mean that work
done to improve the experience of programmers on other platforms
is a waste of time.