[OT] Windows dying

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 18:15:05 UTC 2017

On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 14:29:27 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> You want to be able to compile D programs that go on a smart
> phone because that's where the growth of computer users is
> coming from.

That's not all that obvious. I think a lot of the adults who got
computers in the mid 90s did so to be able to access WWW, and
that this segment will be ok with tablets or just phones. And
mostly web-apps in addition to banking/tickets and social apps. I
think the majority of this not-so-sophisticated segment is quite
limited in where they go after the novelty of mobile apps is
weaning.

In addition you have the kids/teens/young adults market that used
to be C64, Nintendo, Sega, Playstation etc. I think that market
segment is somewhat stable in what they go for, but will be
swayed by the latest fashion/marketing. So, it is increasing
because third world countries get access, but same behaviour in
some ways. And as such could move to a completely new platform
quite quickly because kids have a very low threshold for moving
to new tech.

> Thus, it's good to be able to compile programs for that
> platform, but it doesn't mean that work done to improve the
> experience of programmers on other platforms is a waste of time.

Well, it is possible that web development will move to less
demanding platforms, but is also quite obvious that to get to
next generation of programming languages with heavy duty static
analysis and software synthesis you need a magnitude more power
than current desktop CPUs offer.

Not that I can predict the future, but better tooling means
smarter tools, smarter tools require another level of power. And
judging from what is happening in language research I'd say that
is the direction we'll see in the next few decades. But who
knows, maybe the next gen javascript will own the market for
decades to come. Hard to tell.

What I do see is that neither Apple or Intel have done a lot of
innovation in the past decade. Maybe they don't have to, maybe
their margins are too large to care.

That opens the door for new players.