[OT] Windows dying

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Fri Nov 3 20:05:52 UTC 2017

On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 19:23:51 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh
wrote:
> On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 18:26:54 UTC, Joakim wrote:

>>> A blog post is not evidence that the majority of programmers
>>> will be coding on mobile devices.
>>
>> Yes, but it is evidence of what I said, that "I'm in a small,
>> early-adopting minority now."  I don't know how you expect
>> evidence for something that _will_ happen, it's a prediction
>> I'm making, though based on current, rising trends like all
>> those in this feed:
>>
>> https://mobile.twitter.com/termux
>
> I don't really care if the device crunching the numbers is a
> smartphone or a mainframe as long as it is fast enough and:
>
> 1) I can do my work with a regular size keyboard and large
> monitor.

Check, most mobile devices these days support some form of
interfacing with monitors and keyboards.

> 2) I can use whatever applications I want be it a CLI or some
> GUI app.

Depends on precisely what those apps are, ie Office Mobile and
Photoshop Express are available on Android, but I'm sure some
obscure Win32 CAD app isn't.

> 3) I can install/execute VMs on my device of choice without
> running
> out of memory.

No, only early Qemu support for now, VMs have not really come to
mobile yet.

> 4) My data isn't monitored, controlled, owned, or data-mined by
> some large corporation.

Check, especially if you know what you're doing.

> 5) I can easily move my data, etc. to another device if I
> decide to.

Check, mobile devices usually support such transfer better than
PCs.

> 6) I can use it to play any DVD's that I own (don't have a TV).

Hmm, that is a niche use case these days, guessing no.  I don't
think I've handled a DVD in more than a decade, like most people,
so I'm not sure this matters.  However, I just watched a HD movie
on my tablet last night, and I find it to be a more engaging
experience than any TV.  Something about having the screen right
in front of you, it's more immersive, particularly if your tablet
has decent speakers (though I always care about video more than
audio, so don't need the big sound system that people usually
hook up to their TVs).  I haven't owned a TV for more than a
decade, though people I've lived with have usually had one, that
I almost never watched.

> 7) I can't easily lose my computing device :o)

Obviously any "mobile" device, whether a smartphone or laptop is
more easily lost than a desktop you keep at home. I've never lost
one, but I don't move around that much.  I'll say Check, since
you can enable device trackers and proximity warnings to help you
with this.

> How far off do you think mobile devices are off providing this
> type of experience, or are they already there in your mind?
> What about #7.

They're getting there, but not as general-purpose as a PC yet.