What is the FreeBSD situation?

codephantom me at noyb.com
Sat Nov 4 09:34:05 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 4 November 2017 at 08:46:37 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Well, the modules need names. So, either, the compiler is going
> to have to pick a name for you, or you're going to have to give
> it one. In general though, D was designed with the idea that
> modules would match files and packages would match directories
> - and that the names on disk would match the ones in the file.
> Overall, things are much simpler that way. On some level, you
> can get around that by giving module names that don't match the
> file names, but in general, you're just begging for trouble if
> you don't make your file names and module names match (at least
> some stuff is going to be looking for modules by looking at the
> file system for them with the assumption that the package names
> match folders and the module names match files). So, in the
> long run, you'll just have fewer problems if you make your file
> names and module names match.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Yes. All that makes complete sense I guess.

It might also make sense, that if a source code file does not
contain a module statement, then it should not be treated as a
module, and the compiler should look to the import statements
instead of implicitly making in a module.

btw. That bug in gdc, which appear to do just that, is a nice bug
;-)